Old 13-01-2008, 11:17 PM posted to aus.gardens
George W. Frost George W. Frost is offline

Default The Romans Tried Aquaducts

"Trish Brown" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:

:-)) The trouble with Latin names, is that when I use them and I tend to
do so a lot, I always seem to be accused of being a snob or a know it all.
I used to explain to people that the more interested one in plants and
gardening, the more likely one is to seek out the sort of publications
that use botanical names and that reading such documents leads to using
the correct names. That explantion doesn't seem to wash with many people
though so I don't bother doing that so much these days. I just think
'Idiot!' to myself. I'm getting old and intolerant.

Not only with Latin names but, even when you use the proper names for a car
for example:

I own a Ford, would not bring a great response
yet, I own a 1969 Ford Mustang 427 Super Cobra Jet fastback, would bring a
huge response from the people who know, that the car I have is a special
model identified by its proper name.

I could be accused of being a snob, but I tend to believe that lucky would
be the more appropriate word.
However, if you use the proper Latin name for a plant, doesn't to me show
snobbery, but shows that you are intelligent enough to know your plants and
only passing on the information to others.

I went to a nursery with a photo of a plant I wanted to identify and was
given a Latin name, which he wrote down, so I looked it up and found it
wasn't what he said it was, so I posted a photo on a newsgroup and very
helpful people came up with the correct Latin name and the English name for
it
So, it pays to know the Latin name as well as the English name for any plant