Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
kyte

Default Hot summer, dead plants, new garden

well, i dont like my garden as it is, and am looking for a whole new
look.

the garden is at the west of the house (ie, back of house faces west)
and slopes toward the back, so there is virtually no protection from
the fence, which is colorbond anyway and heats up horribly. (im
thinking...concrete next to the fence, extendaline for the clothes,
retaining wall and lattice screen for the top, then the hills hoist
centred in the main part of the yard can go)

There is also no protection from westerly winds or southerlies (but if
i do the lattice screen....some..).

The yard is small, maybe 30x40 ft. currently I have a variety of
weeds running rampant amongst the grevilleas which are also running
rampant. i am allergic to many of the flowering plants and so I want
all gone.

I was hoping to be able to do mass plantings of palm trees but I have
no idea what kind or even if they would survive in my yard. I dont
expect summers to get better, only worse.

I was hoping for a tree + grass situation where I dont really have to
fuss over gardens with flowers etc. just get the grass cut, but also
have shade....especially shade for the back of the house... these 40+
degree days are killing me.

so i guess, in a longwinded way, im asking for recommendations for
shade trees for a small yard, which can withstand hot westerly winds
in summer and cold frosty winters (at worst)..and which can maybe also
act as windbreak for the house. Preference for evergreens, im not much
for raking leaves.

cheers
Sue