Old 14-01-2008, 11:35 AM posted to aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default The Romans Tried Aquaducts

"George W. Frost" wrote in message

:-)) The trouble with Latin names, is that when I use them and I tend to
do so a lot, I always seem to be accused of being a snob or a know it
all. I used to explain to people that the more interested one in plants
and gardening, the more likely one is to seek out the sort of
publications that use botanical names and that reading such documents
leads to using the correct names. That explantion doesn't seem to wash
with many people though so I don't bother doing that so much these days.
I just think 'Idiot!' to myself. I'm getting old and intolerant.

Not only with Latin names but, even when you use the proper names for a
car for example:

I own a Ford, would not bring a great response
yet, I own a 1969 Ford Mustang 427 Super Cobra Jet fastback, would bring
a huge response from the people who know, that the car I have is a
special model identified by its proper name.

I have fond memories of a Ford Mustang of about that vintage :-))

Now we have lots of old Land Rovers which I find hard to get excited about
but we do have a few other old cars which I rather like.

I could be accused of being a snob, but I tend to believe that lucky would
be the more appropriate word.
However, if you use the proper Latin name for a plant, doesn't to me show
snobbery, but shows that you are intelligent enough to know your plants
and only passing on the information to others.

I went to a nursery with a photo of a plant I wanted to identify and was
given a Latin name, which he wrote down, so I looked it up and found it
wasn't what he said it was, so I posted a photo on a newsgroup and very
helpful people came up with the correct Latin name and the English name
for it
So, it pays to know the Latin name as well as the English name for any
plant

I find the uk.rec.gardening ng is a good one for seeing people who really
know their Latin names -leaves us Aussies for dead. I also notice that
about the British mags too which is why I always buy "The English Garden".
Their plant info is far better than any of the Aussie mags but i do
sometimes smile to myself. I was reading one article about Romneya and the
article said that it could become invasive. Given how sodding dry it's been
here for so many years, I thought "I wish!".