Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 AM
John Savage

Default Sheep fencing

"Marshall Wilkinson" writes:
We've got a small paddock that we plan to put a couple of sheep in to keep
the grass down and use their wool. What, specifically, is required for sheep
fencing? i.e. to keep them in. We live in the upper Blue Mountains, NSW and

The fence needs to be high enough that dogs can't jump over it or dig
under it to get in at the defenceless sheep. These will typically be
half-wild dogs, roaming in 2s or 3s, and they will strike at the time
you least expect it, viz., when there is no one home.

are interested in sheep with a good temperament (so kids can enjoy them) and
with good wool. Any suggestions?

I don't know whether there is such a thing as a 'gentle' breed of sheep.
They are all pretty tame if you have hand reared them, or even if you just
begin hand feeding young sheep that have had a fair bit of contact with
people. Some of them will end up being 'bunters' but I don't know whether
this can be discerned at an early age. I think you just have to take your
chances, and perhaps swap it for a new one with any obliging farmer if it
starts head butting your kids when it's a couple of years old.

Don't forget you'll have to get the sheep wormed and drenched or dipped
from time to time. Best to hook up with a sheep farmer for advice on
this, and to get them shorn provided they are not coloured. I think many
sheep farmers wouldn't want a coloured sheep anywhere near their property.
--
John Savage (for email, replace "ks" with "k" and delete "n")