Old 05-04-2003, 07:36 AM
Terry Collins

Default Not Yahho, Pumpkin Fertilisation & Bugs on Horehound., was A

John Savage wrote:

Terry Collins writes:
What was the recommended method of hand fertilising pumpkins? I've had
to stop the kids running fingers around inside the flower as they were
always finding 1 or 2 bees already in there.

Pick the male flower, carefully strip off and discard the petals, and
rub the pollen-tipped bit that's left onto the central bit inside the
female flower. Use the one male flower to pollinate any number of female
flowers.

Erm, how do I tell the difference? They all look the same to me.

Q2 - Does anyone know the name of the orange & black bug that like
Horehound?

It's name is Mike, I think. Or maybe it's Bertie, I just forget. :-)

A quick google (horehound pests) led to www.agric.nsw.gov.au and this:

Horehound bug, Agonoscelis rutila, is usually found on the weed

Taah.

--
Terry Collins {:-)}}} email: terryc at woa.com.au www:
http://www.woa.com.au