Old 18-01-2008, 04:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default I'm SO excited

Ray B wrote:
I am not a grower of dens. I'm not particularly fond of most of them, and
the unique ones seem to be outside of my skill set. I do not give plants
"rests".

MANY moons ago (maybe 120 or more, actually) Rod Venger sent me a Den.
speciosum seedling in a 2" pot. Despite my relative neglect, it has grown
and grown and grown. It is currently in an 8" basket (hasn't been repotted
in years) hung up with the vandas, with the largest growths maybe 18" tall
(not counting the leaves) and today I actually noticed the beginning of
spikes!!!! 2 on one, one on another.

Not a specimen by anyone's standards, but I will give it credit for
tolerance.

Any guidance?

That's the Pointer Sisters, isn't it? Guidance: Turn the volume 'up'.

OH.

You meant orchid advice.... I have none.

I've been lusting after a Den speciosum for about a year and am
intending to get something similar in July at the next SBOE sale.
There's a great page about speciosums (I sent the link to Dave
Gillingham earlier) on the taxonomy and habitats.. but that's probably
not what you are looking for. When I get back to my other computer I'll
forward the link to you.

Personally if its spiking under your neglect DO NOT change anything!
Why encourage it, LOL!