Old 22-01-2008, 12:59 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Stumpy Stumpy is offline

Default Aquarium chemistry

Your tank won't continue cycling if there is nothing in there to produce
waste. You could possibly continue cycling the tank without fish using a
procedure known as "fishless cycling" - this is where you add small
amounts of ammonia to the tank and continue testing as if there are fish
in there - once you reach zero nitrites and ammonia your tank will be
cycled - never tried it myself but there are a lot of people who swear by
this technique as it doesn't involve any stress to fish.

A good place to ask any of your questions is:-

http://groups.google.com/group/The-F...m?lnk=li&hl=en

HTH

Gill

Thanks much. Don't want to add more chemicals if I don't have to. The only
ammonia I have is 10% ammonium hydroxide "janitorial strength" that I use to
clean out plugged ink-jet printer heads.

I'll follow up on your link, but have never used Google groups.