Old 23-01-2008, 11:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Stumpy Stumpy is offline

Default Aquarium chemistry

Hi Gill, the most recent articles on fishless cycling describe it
exactly as you're saying; replenishing the ammonia periodically
(daily). I think this does result in a larger bacterial culture, but
note that there is also a school of thought that levels of ammonia
which are too high can inhibit the bacteria which complete the process
taking the nitrite to nitrate (ref: never-ending cycle).

The original method which was the only one I've had personal
experience with, was using a single dose of ammonia to about 5ppm
(though the concentration doesn't seem to be very critical) and then
waiting for the process to complete itself. There is some concern
that in the resulting interval where there is no ammonia (only
nitrite), that some bacteria might die off, which is why the more
refined method described above was developed (I think by the same
fellow who documented the first method on the net).

Ultimately, both systems work, though I lean towards the simpler 2nd
method when trying to coach someone over the internet who may not have
the same inclination towards daily water testing.

cheers
NetMax

If I wanted to add 5ppm ammonia. How many mls, oz, or maybe drops would I
add of 10% ammonium hydroxide to a 5 gallon tank?