Old 27-01-2008, 07:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Dave Liquorice Dave Liquorice is offline

Default Curing and splitting wood for burning

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 19:09:37 +0100, David in Normandy wrote:

Splitting logs by hand is very hard work.

Hum, if you have a lot to do yes but otherwise it's just a decent bit of
physical effort. Ah I forgot "physical effort" is something the modern
westerner thinks of as going to fridge for another beer to wash down their
microwaved TV dinner...

Use of a proper maul or splitting axe (approx £15 from a shed) will be a
lot better than a hand axe, felling axe or wedges and lump hammer. If the
OP has large diameter logs (10" or so) then a bomb or grenade could be
useful but stuff small should fall apart under a maul without trouble.

Burning "wet" logs, I'd keep an eye on the tar/soot levels in the flue.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail