Old 04-02-2008, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default pondering the 300 sq ft display

I don't know how they handled those huge displays, but I suspect that Kathy
is right. I *can* tell you the protocol for normal displays in shows around
here. I stress the *around here* part of that, because I find that locales
differ.

If we as a society install a display, whether a 6 foot table top or a 100 sf
floor model, we use our own plants. Ditto a card table size, which would be
done by one or two people. If additional plants are needed, people have been
known to purchase them, but it's bad form to register a plant like that for
ribbon judging. The rule of thumb (and it's only that) is that a plant
should have been in the possession of the exhibitor for about six months
before being offered for judging.

Having said that, do some folks circumvent those rules? You betchum, Red
Ryder. And we've had discussions in this group about just this kind of
thing. After all, a ribbon is given for flower quality, as is an AM or an
HCC, so it's going to the plant, not the grower. A CCM, on the other hand,
is for exceptional culture, so is a reward to the grower. So one could argue
that no matter how long you've owned the plant, it should be eligible for
ribbons. But then, if it's been registered, how do the judges know it hasn't
been owned for six months? They can't know that.

Best to keep to the rules, IMNSHO.

Diana

wrote in message
On Feb 4, 11:15 am, "K Barrett" wrote:
I understand the Phrag besseae hybrids used in Krull-Smith's display
(along
the stream bed under the bridge) were from Orchid Zone.

those were lovely. (i took a picture.

--j_a