Old 04-02-2008, 11:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default pondering the 300 sq ft display

Agree. That's why I limited my remarks to society events. I don't look at
the WOC as a society. There was no AOS judging, but that's a remark for
others who may not have known that. I know you do.

Around here, it's frowned on to take a newly acquired plant for flower
quality judging, but there would be no way to enforce such a rule. And it
may be a local society thing, rather than AOS.

We're on the same page, though.

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Let's make sure we are comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges.
I'm not sure the usual club rules apply here. Who is a member of the WOC?
Its not a club, per se.

In a club's show the plants in a display should be owned by the exhibitor,
the 6 month rule applies if its written into the show schedule (which most
of the time it is).

Don't quote me, but I think there are different judging rules/regs for a
WOC. I noticed everyone commented on the number of 'trophies' the K-S
display and RF Orchids display got... not 'AOS awards', 'AOS Show
trophies' or 'Gold Certificates' etc. I could be wrong, and frequently
am. We'd have to ask someone who judged the show.

The 6 month rule only applies - on the AOS national level - to cultural
awards (CCM, CCE). People frequently buy the plant and display it for
quality awards (HCC, AM, FCC). The cultural awards go to the grower for
exemplary ability to grow. The quality award goes to the plant for
looking good or being an improvement.

K Barrett

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
. ..
I don't know how they handled those huge displays, but I suspect that
Kathy is right. I *can* tell you the protocol for normal displays in shows
around here. I stress the *around here* part of that, because I find that
locales differ.

If we as a society install a display, whether a 6 foot table top or a 100
sf floor model, we use our own plants. Ditto a card table size, which
would be done by one or two people. If additional plants are needed,
people have been known to purchase them, but it's bad form to register a
plant like that for ribbon judging. The rule of thumb (and it's only
that) is that a plant should have been in the possession of the exhibitor
for about six months before being offered for judging.

Having said that, do some folks circumvent those rules? You betchum, Red
Ryder. And we've had discussions in this group about just this kind of
thing. After all, a ribbon is given for flower quality, as is an AM or an
HCC, so it's going to the plant, not the grower. A CCM, on the other
hand, is for exceptional culture, so is a reward to the grower. So one
could argue that no matter how long you've owned the plant, it should be
eligible for ribbons. But then, if it's been registered, how do the
judges know it hasn't been owned for six months? They can't know that.

Best to keep to the rules, IMNSHO.

Diana

wrote in message
On Feb 4, 11:15 am, "K Barrett" wrote:
I understand the Phrag besseae hybrids used in Krull-Smith's display
(along
the stream bed under the bridge) were from Orchid Zone.

those were lovely. (i took a picture.

--j_a