Old 19-02-2008, 05:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden
Erdos2[_2_] Erdos2[_2_] is offline

Default Lawnmower Questions - Gas vs. Electric for Replacing 30 year old too haevy mower.

"Worn out Retread" wrote in message
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Frankly I have done just that with an electric with cord and had no
problems at all. My current home is not laid out in a way that would
make it easy, but I am considering either a corded or battery model. In
fact I just saw an add for a cord/cordlesss model. I will have to look
into that one.

I like the relative quiet of electric. No bother with gas etc. I
don't like the prospect of buying new batteries, as I am about to do for
my trimmer, blower and hedge cutter. Of the three original batteries
(about 6 years old) two are almost dead. Very handy.

Hearing the electric mowers around here, they are not any quieter than the
gas models. The pitch of the sound is different though.

I had a corded electric mower quite a few years ago and it sounded
some what like a vacuum cleaner. It lasted a good 10 years or so.

When it came time to replace it, I didn't see anything electric that I
liked, so went back to gas powered. Some electric mowers are
not real good at mowing heavy thick grass, so it can be trouble if
it gets a little bit long. Some/many of them just don't have the umph
that a gas powered one has. (At least they didn't a few years ago)

With corded electric models, there are two types of people: Those
who have cut the cord and those who have not yet cut the cord. It
took me 3 or 4 years to move from the second group into the first
group.

Jerry