Old 26-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Weng Weng is offline
Registered User

Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
I have a cymbidium which I bought from a garden centre last year, so variety
unknown. When bought, it had a flower spike and after it had finished
flowering, I fed and watered it, a new pseudobulb developed and then
produced two new flower spikes. As this was the first time I had ever been
able to get a cymbidium to flower again, I watched them grow with keen
anticipation, but, to my disappointment, one of them turned yellow and the
buds dropped off, although they were well-developed by then. Now, it had
been rather cold so I reduced the watering/feeding to every 3 weeks, rather
than weekly, so I wondered if the plant couldn`t support two spikes and
"switched off" one? Or could there be another, more sinister, cause,
please? Incidentally, as soon as I cut the dying spike off, the healthy one
fairly galloped ahead and is now looking lovely.

Thanks
Kate
Congratulations on getting it to re-flower. It is an achievement! The usual reason for bud-drop is keeping it too warm.

Weng