Old 27-02-2008, 02:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Why ANTS on my Dendrobiums and Epidendrums, only?

Greetings from St. Lucie County, John. Don't know how long you've been
growing, but if you haven't had ants before, as one who also grows under
screen I salute you. I doubt that the soap itself has anything to do with
the ants suddenly adoring your Epis and Dends.

What were you using the soap spray for? I have to assume it was for some
type of critters. If so, the critters could be what the ants are after.

Big ants? Little ants? Do they run like little miniature mad people? If so,
they could be Caribbean crazy ants, which used to be confined to the far
western areas but which made it east after the hurricanes of '04 and '05.

Welcome to rgo, and tell us more.....

Diana

"John Benedict" wrote in message
I've never had the problem in the past. At first I thought that the soap
spray I recently started using attracted them, but why not all my other
orchids?

All my plants are under 20/20 screening; southen exposure... and I'm in
Palm Beach County, FL.... I water only once a week and my pots are
mostly dry.

Any help would be greatly appreciated