Old 05-03-2008, 05:13 PM posted to triangle.gardens
[email protected] mikeerdas@yahoo.com is offline

Default Where else to buy seed germination blankets aside from Lowes and HomeDepot? Seeding during a drought?

I need a lot of seed germination blankets to fix some eroding swales
and a lawn (new construction) that never quite took (poor top soil,
slope to the lawn, and all the builder did was seed (cheap) and
straw). Probably had clear cut the site long ago, and most of the top
soil washed away. I know there's an agri-supply in Garner, but they
were closed on Sunday when I stopped by.

Noticed Lowes sells Dupont 4' x 50' rolls of the stuff, but I'm
wondering if there are landscape supply stores around Raleigh that
have larger rolls and/or better prices.

Also wondering how much it would cost to have dump trucks come in and
replenish the top soil on my property. Who are some reliable sources
for that and what should I expect to pay?

The idea is to get the top soil in, seed and straw with annual
ryegrass just to stop the erosion. Hoping some other season, when the
watering ban ends, if it ever does, to overseed with centipede or
bermudagrass--or use plugs. I've heard the latter is pointless in a
drought, but I know annual ryegrass will germinate quickly, without a
lot of water.

Finally, would it make sense to mix in some bermudagrass seed with
the annual ryegrass "just in case"? Would the bermudagrass or
centipede seed lay dormant until we get some serious rains or I could
water daily? Ultimate goal is to go for a low maintenance lawn. Short
term goal? Stop the erosion.

Thanks.

Mike