Old 07-03-2008, 01:21 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Bonnie NJ Bonnie NJ is offline

Default Spring pond plans....

On Mar 5, 11:11*pm, Gareee© wrote:
The problem with veggie filters, is we can still get snow until mid april,
and by then the algae is already in full swing. (the pond is actually
totally green now, even though we're still getting snow at night, and below
freezing temps.)

There are very few stores here that stock pond plants, and they seem to take
forever to grow for some reason here... and I've spent so much on plants now
I've no real desire to spend another bundle on them, when they just founder,
and die off in a few months. Iris are about the only thing that have really
taken off, and the lilly pads are doing well now.

Big problem is finding a covered container for a filter, and the uv filter
hasn;t done practically anything at all to impact the algae.

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in ...

Gareee,

I have forgotten how big your pond is and what efforts you have made
with filters. *Is there any way to get a veggie filter in place? *I am
biases toward them because they have been so simple and effective for
us. *What have you tried that failed?

Jim- Hide quoted text -

Hi Gareee,
I'm going to jump in here with Jim. I think veggie filters are the
way to go.
Have you tried water celery. I'm located in NJ and my pond had a
layer
of ice yesterday, but the water celery is already starting to green
up. The
watercress is also starting to show signs of life.
We did have a few warm days and I guess that got the plants started.
think you should give this type of plant a trial. They are cheap
enough, I can
send you some if you'd like as soon as they get growing. I'm sure Jim
will
agree that it doesn't take many to start a filter.
Bonnie
NJ