Old 07-03-2008, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

Default Bat Houses

"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote in message
So which of you around here have bat houses put up?

Which style box are you using and how does it do?

Still trying to hash out what the best box would be for this area and its
orientation.

--
Zone 6b, SW KY - http://www.hildenbrands.com

I had successfully occupied bat houses when I lived in Montana. Started out
with one house and ended up with six. It's not only important to build or
buy the proper house but where you mount it. This site should give you all
the information you need. http://www.batconservation.org/index.html Not
only plenty of general information but that specific to your area as well.

I put these up, along with "swallow motels" for mosquito control. I had a
big pond in my back field, huge mosquito breeding ground. Between the
swallows and the bats I was pretty much mosquito free sitting out in the
evening after three years of the first house being occupied. Plus they are
really fun to watch zooming around in the evening.

Val