Old 08-03-2008, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
Andrew Ostrander Andrew Ostrander is offline

Default Tomatoes - First time grower

You will certainly have to separate them well before 8 weeks have passed. I
allow only one tomato plant in a pot of that size!

Wait until their first true leaves appear, then move them to individual
pots. I do this by submerging their starter pot in water then carefully
pulling the seedlings out one at a time, using a knife to loosen the soil
around each seedling. Then the seedllings go into their new pots and get a
watering. You can wait longer than the first true leaves if you are unable
to transplant them then, but they are very overcrowded as they are and will
not develop well all in the same pot.

I use foam beer cups for my tomato seedlings because the seedlings grow
fastest when kept in large pots.

Andrew

"Shon" wrote in message

Hi everyone, I sowed all the tomato seeds that were in the packet
(around 30 seeds) in a 5 by 5 cm pot and I have just read that I should
have sowed 1-2 seeds per pot or all the seeds across a wider surface
area. I sowed them a week ago and the seedlings have started to emerge.
I am wondering whether I should leave them to grow and move them to a
bigger pot after 8 weeks or if I should separate them into individual
pots (how?). Can anyone help?!! Many thanks!

--
Shon