Old 11-03-2008, 02:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dan L. Dan L. is offline

Default Is cat poo harmful to vegatable/human health?

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

I am not an expert and could be wrong about this.

I do believe cat poo is harmful to humans.

Correct. Toxoplasmosis.

I think it goes like this. If
the animal is a carnivore (eats meat) and has a one chamber stomach, the
animal uses E-coli to break down the proteins - then yes it is bad for
vegetable gardening.

Horribly wrong.

Chewing (mouth), acid bath (stomach), and bile (small intestine)
mechanically and enzymaticaly break down our food.

The biblical sense - an unclean animal - humans
included

Animals that are herbivores that just eats plants, chew the cud, like
cows, have a multi-chamber stomach and does not use E-coli for digestion
- then yes it is good for the garden. I think it need to dry out first.

There are various strains of E coli. Some are pathogenic (O157:H7 for
example) most are not. Most E coli are in the intestine because it is an
ecological niche that can be exploited, but the unintended consequence
is that they leave no room for pathological bacteria to establish
themselves, which keep us healthy.

To Other posters:
Please expand my knowledge. I agree that my view was wrong on the
digestive process of animals. Billy's view makes more sense.

Question #1:
I always thought at least carnivore's poop was not good for use in
vegetable gardens because it contains E-coli. Is this concept correct?
If not, Why?

Question #2:
Does herbivores like cows have E-coli in their poop?
I thought one did not get E-coli from cattle products. I thought E-coli
came from unsanitary meet packing houses that ended up in ground meat.
Steaks were not a problem, simply searing the steak would kill the
E-coli on the surface area (marinading meet should be cooked thoughly).

Question #3:
From reading Charlie's posting, the answer to #2 seems to be yes.
So does this mean that even cow manure (cow poop) should not even be
used on gardens also? This seems to go against an old tradition.

I do believe E-coli can be found from contaminated water and if used on
vegetable gardens can be bad news also. I thought water contamination
came from mostly human waste sewer run offs and not cattle wastes run
offs.

Please expand my knowledge of this subject. Just trying to get some
basic rules on the use of animal waste fertilizers if one should use it.

Dan......

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.