Old 11-03-2008, 03:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Is cat poo harmful to vegatable/human health?

Erik Johnson wrote:
Hi,

I'm pretty new to gardening and would like some advice. I having
trouble with a cat using my vegatable patch to do his buisness.

I would like to know if this may be harmful if I am growing vegitables
to eat.

Normally I pick them all up, but I went away on Holiday and returned to
find a phenominal amount in the garden. I started to pick it all up but
it started raining heavily. Now I have found it has all disappeared -
dissolved into the soil.

Before I get any advice on how to stop the Cat I have already tried:
Lion poo, tea bags soaked in Olbas oil, pepper, ultra sonic cat
scarers, making friends with the cat and feeding him, orange peel, CDs
stuck into the ground and making access difficult. My plan was now to
install an outside tap and fit a motion sensor with water gun.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you are growing root vegetables, like
onions or carrots.

The biggest problem I have with cats is when they dig up young plants in
the flower beds.

I have a couple of dog (one of them is a big dog) and this year when I
do my "spring cleaning" in the back yard, I'm planning to dig a deep
trench in the garden. I'll bury all the dog mess, and later plant
tomatoes over the top of it. I think tomatoes will like that.

Bob