Old 14-03-2008, 01:00 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
[email protected] iowakoi@yahoo.com is offline

Default Spring pond plans....

On Mar 6, 6:25*pm, Phyllis and Jim wrote:
The UV should get the green water. *You might see if the flow rate
through it is slow enough for the UV to do its job. * Ours takes a
while to clear the water, but does it.

The loss of plants is a bummer. *Does anacharis survive up there? *Are
there any native plants that could help you? *What grows wild around
there? *We have irises. *Their roots are some use, but they don't grow
with enough speed to grab nutrients. *The green algae get moving
before the vascular and eat nutrients in the water. *Once the
vasculares start their growth, the green algae fades. *We us our UV in
the period before the vasculares get rolling.

Could you do anything hydroponically, like flowers or something with
their roots in a veggie filter equivalent? *Anything with roots in the
water and growth.

While I think about it, watercress grows like mad in the early
season. *Water celery does fine after that. *Would you like some? *It
has an huge root mass for filtration and grows fast on top. The cost
would be postage.

Jim

Sweet flag planted on a PVC floating grid makes a great veggie filter
and will grow even in winter. Also anacharis will often overwinter.
Are you using any kind of sludge remover and cleaning out the the
leaves etc? Extra waste is what's feeding you algae. Are you using a
large enough filter, skimmer and pumps. List what you have and we
maybe able to suggest ways to help keep your pond clean. Have you
tried getting rid some of your fish on Craig's list or your local pond
club? I will also have plants as early as April. see Richdeer3 for
more info. Also check out the article pages on controlling algae and
sizing your pump.