Old 16-03-2008, 01:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray B Ray B is offline

Default Humidification

Maybe I'm suffering from CRS, but didn't someone here (Kathy? Wendy?) query
recently about humidifiers/foggers to replace a dead Hydrofogger?

Mine died recently too, and I decided to replace it, rather than repair it.

I bought the Jay-Bird Aquafog Hydro SS 700, in the direct-feed model (no
sump = fewer moving parts). Got it yesterday, and installed it (using
essentially only my one "good" hand) in about 30 minutes (while my wife was
out, so she couldn't yell at me).

I have it connected to a humidistat, which turns the fan on and off. It is
plumbed to my RO supply, and the flow runs continuously (whether the fan is
on or not), but the excess drains back into the RO tank, so who cares?.
Water flow is controlled by an included flow meter/controller, which is also
a way to manage things more precisely: low flow = "dryer" mist and longer
"on" periods, higher flow = heavy fog for shorter periods.

If I was using tap water as my supply, I would probably have the humidistat
control a solenoid valve in the water line, leaving the fan running (and
providing more air circulation). I'll probably do that eventually, anyway.

It is absolutely fantastic!