Old 16-03-2008, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] judithsmith@live.co.uk is offline

Default How to create the perfect soil for annual flowers

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 14:10:36 +0000, mogga
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 12:14:26 GMT, Stuart Noble
wrote:

Having a small garden with sandy/stony soil, I've decided to start from
scratch on a couple of raised beds by ditching the existing soil and
replacing it with something better. As this is a small project, I don't
care about the cost of materials but they need to be available from the
garden centre in 25kg bags.
Am I right in thinking that general purpose compost and sharp sand
should form the bulk? Things seem to grow well enough in that medium but
for how long? As a compost bin isn't practical for me, can I buy the
equivalent as a commercial product? Maybe a Phostrogen type liquid feed
would be as good?
Any advice appreciated

You could ask your local council who recycles their green waste -
sometimes they sell it back to residents at a discount.

I have wondered about this? How do you know that someone has not
recycled their foliage after applying weed-killer?

I am not sure I would risk it.

--

judith.