Old 16-03-2008, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How to create the perfect soil for annual flowers

On Mar 16, 8:49 pm, Dave Hill wrote:
On 16 Mar, 16:39, Judith in France
wrote:

On Mar 16, 12:14 pm, Stuart Noble
wrote:

Having a small garden with sandy/stony soil, I've decided to start from
scratch on a couple of raised beds by ditching the existing soil and
replacing it with something better. As this is a small project, I don't
care about the cost of materials but they need to be available from the
garden centre in 25kg bags.
Am I right in thinking that general purpose compost and sharp sand
should form the bulk? Things seem to grow well enough in that medium but
for how long? As a compost bin isn't practical for me, can I buy the
equivalent as a commercial product? Maybe a Phostrogen type liquid feed
would be as good?
Any advice appreciated

I was going to arrange for the local stables to drop off a trailer
load of manure, now I'm not so sure as when the horses are treated
with anti-biotics or worming medicine, this too is composted. I would
put it on a flower bed but don't think I would want it on the veggies,
unless someone knows more than me, perhaps the heat kills anything
dangerous?

Judith

I wouldn't wory, if you think of the ammount of antibiotic used for
one horse, the bulk will be absorbed into the body, then what passes
through is then diluted into a full load of manure it will be so
diluted there is no way it could harm you.
Much mor risk from eating chickens that have had a dose of Anti
biotic.
Winter stable manure should be free from wormer residue, if in doubt
ask them
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Thank you David, that puts my mind at rest.

Judith