Old 18-03-2008, 09:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray B Ray B is offline

Default Watering Cattleyas

I'm with you, Tennis. Too bad we don't have the same growing conditions as
out there, though.

"tenman" wrote in message
Uncle_vito wrote:
I got the orchids from the Santa Barbara Orchid Estate where most all of
their Cattleyas are bare root. They had them in small plastic pots and
the roots went through holes in the bottom of the pot and over the
sides. They then had this pot in a larger pot and the roots were now
growing into that. As the plant and roots grew, they kept moving the
entire thing into bigger and bigger pots.

This is they way that they were growing the Cattleyas. (Phals and
Cymbidiums were potted with media). The plants are stabilized. In fact,
I attended a class in potting put on by SBOE and the smallest of cats
were at first tied into the pots until their roots could form against the
sides and in holes through the bottom.

Very interesting information; thanks for the info. I keep promising some
year I'm going to get out there, but have had to make do with an
occasional mailorder purchase from them. Probably just as well; I'd likely
have to take out a second mortgage to pay my tab if I ever went shopping
there in person!