Old 21-03-2008, 09:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] thetacker@gmail.com is offline

Default Bougainvillea Bad Luck

Living on the water in the climate of Sarasota, Florida, I should be
in bougainvillea heaven, but it's been more like the other place. I
am having just miserable luck with mine, no matter how many specimens
I buy and which care regimen I try.

The plants are potted (nursery's own pots and soil) and are on a south-
facing balcony, where they get sun most of the day. Temperatures range
from 70-95 in daytime, depending on season. They are never exposed to
frost. They receive a boungainvillea fertilizer weekly, as prescribed,
and they get watered at that time only.

What happens invariably is that they start out from the local nursery
(outside plants) in full bloom and look great. Then, after the first
blooming they get less and less blooms and less and less leaves until
finally various arms of the plants die or maintain a subsistence level
with few leaves and no blooms.

Over the years, I have tried allowing them to dry out for 2-3 weeks
between waterings, have tried west walls and east walls, and each time
the results have been similar.

If anybody has some new ideas, I would welcome them, as I love
bougainvillea and would enjoy making them thrive on our home's south
balcony.

Thanks.