Old 22-03-2008, 02:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
JXStern JXStern is offline

Default Bougainvillea Bad Luck

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 14:41:03 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Living on the water in the climate of Sarasota, Florida, I should be
in bougainvillea heaven, but it's been more like the other place. I
am having just miserable luck with mine, no matter how many specimens
I buy and which care regimen I try.

Do any of your neighbors have successful bougs?

They're big plants, are not entirely happy in pots, and may not like
being right on the water.

For anything this side of a cactus in a pot, if it's in the full sun,
I'd think it needs water more than once a week. You can get a
moisture meter and see how things are going. Make sure the pot
doesn't get hot in the sun, too, even with moist soil.

Balconys are tough environments, too much wind. You might try a
little more protection and shade, too.

J.