Old 22-03-2008, 10:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Richard Harison Richard Harison is offline

Default Pruning Harison's Yellow

I have a 17 year old Harison's Yellow which stands about 5' high.
Problem: all the growth is at the top 1' leaving 4' canes, some 3/4" thick.
I would like to encourage new growth from new canes, so that the plant
appears denser
Some say cut 1/3 or so back to the ground
Some say new canes will not bloom (at least in first year)
Some saw they do not respond well to pruning at all--leave it alone
Most who favor pruning say late winter is the time to do it
Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks

P.S. You are not seeing things, a am a direct descendant of the rose's
breeder
I know more of its history than cultivation!

--
All the Best,
Richard Harison