Old 23-03-2008, 02:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Richard Harison Richard Harison is offline

Default Pruning Harison's Yellow

Thanks Jeffrey,
Some did say that March was the best time since the bush is still "sleeping"
Any thoughts there?
By 1/3 I meant 1/3 of all canes--right to the ground
And yes---it is a non-repeater
Thanks again

--
All the Best,
Richard Harison

"Jeffrey L. Kline" wrote in message
et...
Harison's Yellow comes from the Rosa foetida class, which are the origin
of most modern yellow roses. Very cool. It is, as far as I know, a
non-repeater, which often blooms on old wood. If you want to develop new
basal breaks, (canes from the base) old will need to cut back the old
wood, which may limit the bloom for a year.

Unless you don't care if you get any blooms this year, I would wait until
after it blooms this year, so you can get all to blooming possible, then
remove 50% of the old wood, to the ground. The rest I would cut back
some, but keep foliage, so you don't end up with bare sticks! Put some
Epson salt (about 1/4 cup) around the base (soon would be good) to help
promote new basal breaks. Next year, do the same thing, cut back 50 % for
the remaining old wood, until, after several years, you've turned over
tall of the canes.

The cut 1/3 stuff is more for hybrid teas. I agree, new

"Richard Harison" wrote in message
I have a 17 year old Harison's Yellow which stands about 5' high.
Problem: all the growth is at the top 1' leaving 4' canes, some 3/4"
thick.
I would like to encourage new growth from new canes, so that the plant
appears denser
Some say cut 1/3 or so back to the ground
Some say new canes will not bloom (at least in first year)
Some saw they do not respond well to pruning at all--leave it alone
Most who favor pruning say late winter is the time to do it
Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks

P.S. You are not seeing things, a am a direct descendant of the rose's
breeder
I know more of its history than cultivation!

--
All the Best,
Richard Harison