Old 23-03-2008, 09:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Dilemma!

Well, about a week ago I gave the collection an Orthene shot. Thrips were
showing up, along with the occasional mealy. I was late this year - I
usually try to get ahead of the gardenia bushes, which of course are thrip
magnets. Naturally, I sprayed them too, and like everything else they are
due for a second shot in a few days.

Friday we were out on the patio for lunch, and there was a major commotion
*in* one of the gardenias, a huge one. Two cardinals chased away a blue jay.
You guessed it. There's a new nest in there! It will be fun watching this
play out. But.........

Now I can't do a follow-up on the gardenias. Suggestions? I know the natural
remedies. Think throwing soap, alcohol, etc, at it once will do it, after
the Orthene?

Diana