Old 24-03-2008, 01:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Dilemma!

That's a point well made, Wendy. Still, I think they just like that area.
Last year they put in a nest in a lime tree about 7 feet away!

Diana

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Hmmmm? I had the same thing a couple of years ago with a humming bird
nest.
Yes, do the soap or if you have Neem oil but my thoughts are that maybe
the birds nested in your gardenias because they knew they would have food
closeby?
Cheers Wendy
"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
.. .
Well, about a week ago I gave the collection an Orthene shot. Thrips were
showing up, along with the occasional mealy. I was late this year - I
usually try to get ahead of the gardenia bushes, which of course are
thrip magnets. Naturally, I sprayed them too, and like everything else
they are due for a second shot in a few days.

Friday we were out on the patio for lunch, and there was a major
commotion *in* one of the gardenias, a huge one. Two cardinals chased
away a blue jay. You guessed it. There's a new nest in there! It will be
fun watching this play out. But.........

Now I can't do a follow-up on the gardenias. Suggestions? I know the
natural remedies. Think throwing soap, alcohol, etc, at it once will do
it, after the Orthene?

Diana