Old 25-03-2008, 11:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Uncle_vito Uncle_vito is offline

Default Phal question

I have a fairly common phal that I have had bloom for the first time while
being cultured in my house. I am new at growing phals and have a basic
question. Some of the buds did not open and fell off. 4 buds did open.

I am assuming that the buds that fell off did so because of low humidity. I
moved the plant out into my kitchen when the first buds opened and I am
assuming that the humidity in my kitchen is lower than in the bedroom where
the phals are generally kept.

I know I need to get a humidity meter so I cannot tell you the absolute
humidity.

I could mist the plant, but, to be honest, these particular flowers do
nothing for me and I didn't really mind the buds dropping off.

But in general, do the buds need to stay in a humid environment to keep from
falling off. The assumption here is that they dryed out before opening.

Thanks for any replies.

Vito