Old 26-03-2008, 10:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray B Ray B is offline

Default Phal question

Usually the buds will drop off due to "blasting" - a sudden change in
temperature or really drastic drop in humidity.

If they develop normally, but then fail to open, it is often insufficient
water in general, or mites (which also prefer to live in dry environments).

"Uncle_vito" wrote in message
I have a fairly common phal that I have had bloom for the first time while
being cultured in my house. I am new at growing phals and have a basic
question. Some of the buds did not open and fell off. 4 buds did open.

I am assuming that the buds that fell off did so because of low humidity.
I moved the plant out into my kitchen when the first buds opened and I am
assuming that the humidity in my kitchen is lower than in the bedroom
where the phals are generally kept.

I know I need to get a humidity meter so I cannot tell you the absolute
humidity.

I could mist the plant, but, to be honest, these particular flowers do
nothing for me and I didn't really mind the buds dropping off.

But in general, do the buds need to stay in a humid environment to keep
from falling off. The assumption here is that they dryed out before
opening.

Thanks for any replies.

Vito