Old 28-03-2008, 12:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
YMC[_2_] YMC[_2_] is offline

Default Conifer Mulch Compost for Rose garden?

Hi there,

Its Autumn here in Melbourne, Australia. I have a row of conifer pine
trees - medium size - dark green leaves. They are about 6 metres tall and
are due for a good prune back. I thought of lopping off the top of the
trees- mulching them including the leaves finely - and then using them as
compost for my rose garden. I'm allergic to the pine leaves so I'm getting
tree pruner to do the job.

One old tree pruner however warned me that using fresh conifer pine mulch
was a very bad idea and may kill the roses.

Is using conifer mulch for the rose garden a bad idea?