Old 29-03-2008, 04:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default Rhynchostylis question

I have only managed to save a phal by scrubbing to firm hard tissue (IIRC
with a toothbrush) then pouring peroxide (straight from the bottle from the
drugstore) into the crown of the plant, if you have good roots the plant
should pup from the side. I know people who have cut down until they do not
see any discoloration in the central stalk, then peroxide, and keep fingers
crossed hoping for side branches. You could find out about plant hormones
like keiki paste that encourage side growths from the axial nodes. But if
the source of the infection hasn't been killed then bacteria (or whatever)
will spread through the system and kill your plant. IMHO if the infection
has been stopped then the otherwise healthy but decapitated plant has no
choice but to pup from the side.

K Barrett
"Bob Walsh" wrote in message
I have a Rhynchostylis gigantea that has lost it's growing point and is now
dropping leaves. Does anyone know how, or have some ideas, to get it to
start a branch or new growth on the stem?

Bob