Old 29-03-2008, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default *Al* Appreciation Thread!

I found the thread in which Al described that costume:

As much as I have tried to resist climbing into the ring of this yet another
Professional Wrestling match unfolding on the RGO it is time. I have been
working out and I am wearing my skimpy tight purple leotards and a full body
fake tattoo of snakes and other threatening creatures. My head has been
shaved in a bazaar pattern and I am playing to the crowd who is undoubtedly
booing loudly. I am ignoring them. What a party I am having! I am here
because I want to see which of my capable opponents wants to try and body
slam me.

Here is my move:

From a book I had to study in Freshman English called "The Informed
Argument" by Robert K. Miller. It attempts to teach how to argue
successfully. It has a chapter entitled, "Avoiding Logical Fallacies" in
which it lays out the 15 or so most common mistakes made when presenting
ones argument and attempting to persuade people to ones point of view.
Number one on the list:

"Ad Hominem Argument. An ad hominem argument is an argument that attacks
the personal character or reputation of one's opponents while ignoring what
he or she has to say [on the topic]. Ad hominem is Latin for 'to the man'.
Although an audience may often consider the character of a writer or speaker
in deciding whether it can trust what he or she has to say, most of us
realize that good people can make bad arguments, and even a crook can
sometimes tell the truth. It is almost always better to give a logical
response to an argument than to ignore those arguments and indulge in
personal attacks."

To all who read this: Strength, Peace, Health and the ability to see the
good intentions and well wishing that lies behind my sarcasm, attitude,
posturing and ridiculous costume.

Al