Old 09-04-2008, 03:45 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
David Hare-Scott David Hare-Scott is offline

Default Large scale permaculture

"len gardener" wrote in message
On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 14:41:57 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:
snipped
How do you make this system work for Los Angeles or Mexico City or
Bombay? If the largest city you've seen is Sydney you don't really
understand the problem.

--

maybe john just maybe it is you who have no understanding of "the
problem"??

Len I agree with your sentiments that we need to change our way of thinking
but it will take more than that.

once you take the liberty to pidgeon hole what is current then you
take away any thinking outside the square.

all tall buildings have rooves?

there are balconies?

Very harsh environments for growing, with much effort you could get some
boutique crops but not enough to really matter. It would be very inefficient.

most cities have large parklands?

Yes but the people need them. Sure strolling through a nice vege garden is
relaxing but what of those who want to play sport etc?

melbourne is noted for it's culturaly diversified gardens shared by
occupants who live in medium to high rise tennaments.

Melbourne is quite low density compared to the mega cities. The Aussie 1/4
acre block is very uncommon in many places. We have no experience of what
really high density housing is like.

and back in the 40's and 50's over here what produce the market
farmers had left they took into the general market situated in the
city proper where all could access it by various public transport, now
the markets are so situated it is a hectic drive to even attempt to
get there.

And those market gardens have been swallowed up by housing developments that
can hardly be torn down now. The population is 3 times what it was then. The
institutions and organisation of 60 years ago will not serve for the next 60.

and people lived in suburbs and business was in the city.

and in your scenerio or the current scenerio food is going to become
very very expensive to buy i the cities, and much can happen to stop
the harvest or the harvest being distributed, you may be affluent
enough right now? but very many aren't and everyone could be in their
shoes at any time.

in the US of A some of the so called fresh food can be in transit for
up to 2 weeks from what i have read at various times?

i never said it was going to be easy, but when do we start? when it is
way too late maybe?

outside the square and the comfort zone.
With peace and brightest of blessings,

I support your philosophy that major change in how we deal with the world is
essential. And backyard and inner city growing plots would certainly be a
step in the right direction. But this will never be more than a minor part of
the calories required to feed a big city.

Look at the people who are doing this on a small scale (ie one or a few
families). They need acres to do it. Evan if yields could be increased many
times (doubtful, especially in Oz) those acres just aren't available in or
near big cities, nor are the numbers of skilled people prepared to lovingly
tend them.

It is this very problem of the efficiency of scale that made me ask the
question in the first place.

David