Old 09-04-2008, 03:18 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Large scale permaculture

"Billy" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"len gardener" wrote in message

(snip)
i never said it was going to be easy, but when do we start? when it is
way too late maybe?

Well "the when it's too late" scenario seemed to be what got the Cubans
working on the problem so I wouldn't be surprised if it takes the same
thing
to get the first world doing the same thing. In Australia, given our
problems, I don't think it will be too long before we are faced with the
need to "do something" but for the US, I think it will take longer.
There
are many Americans who still don't believe in climate cahnage but I don't
think there would be many Australians who don't believe in it. Till
there
is a shift in attitude in the majority of the popultion, no change
happens
as there is no pressure to do so.

Take a look at http://www.adn.com/matsu/story/365375.html/ .

Did that. He sums up some of the problems quite well. Thanks.

Politics
stymied the truth about global warming in America because the
corporations will have to spend money to ameliorate their carbon
emissions. The result was that the corporate line was paid for in
Congress and sponsored by that right-wing nut case, Rupert Murdoch.
Murdoch's Fox News is the only news cast in America where faithfully
watching it, will leave you more ignorant than if you had done
nothing.The corporations are on board now, more or less, like New
Orleans, I think now they see it as an opportunity.

If you read the "uh-oh thread", it might occur to you that a perfect
storm is brewing. Some countries are starting to withhold export crops,
in order to feed their own citizens. That will never happen in America.
Others, like Australia, have had crop problems (drought) and have no
export crop. Other countries are having food riots.

In any event, whether it was the bio-fuel scam, a conspiracy by the oil
companies, or the government encouragement you own your own home at any
cost, the American economy is set to tank. Asian banks don't want our
money anymore. Our top 1% will get more stinking rich while the rest of
us get acquainted with the way the rest of the world lives. Problem is
that crazed American consumers was the market of choice for most of the
world.

No society will escape the personal need to grow more food. Not just for
sensory satisfaction, but for survival.

That time will come although I'm not convinced that we are there just yet.