Old 16-04-2008, 11:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Jeffrey L. Kline Jeffrey L. Kline is offline

Default Fertilizer - Synthetic vs. Natural

I've used Bayer products and find them to be of high quality. I don't use
the systemic system, just 'cause I think topical application of insect and
fungus/black spot control to be more effective.

There are a ton of articles on line providing the pro's and con's for both
synthetic (generally petroleum based) and organic fertilizers, including
American Rose Society.

With 3000 square feet of garden, I find granulated fertilizer an real
benefit. Its easy to apply, consistent in its composition, and cost
effective.

I think the main issues of synthetics from my experience is the salt
build-up in the soil (and run-off in the water, if you're not careful), as
well as increasing pH. Both have a tendency to decrease the plant's ability
to take up the nurturance in the soil. (Martin and Gail, in reference to
your "roses are busting out all over" thread, this is why, so I'm told, that
they recommend you replace soil when placing a new rose in an old rose
site.)

There are several products that can reduce salt buildup, including gypsum.
It has the additional benefit of clumping clay, so you get better root
aeration. In addition, I monitor my soil's pH and adjust it to 6 to 6.5.

I also use horse manure based compose, but I find it is not very high in
nitrogen. The wood chips used in stalls these days are very high in carbon,
which actually leaches nitrogen out of the soil, so I add nitrogen to the
pile while I'm composting it.

And that's my main concern with most "natural" fertilizers. Its really hard
to know how much of what is in it, and it varies from batch to batch. As a
result, you can never be sure you're providing all of the substrates the
plant requires. (Well, I guess if your plants are big, green, healthy, and
full of blooms, you must be doing something right.) Also, if you have a big
area, it can get quite costly.

Hope this helps

Jeff, Southeast Michigan, Zone 5

wrote in message
Quick question for the group - Fertilizer. Apart from not being
"green", as is the current fad, are there any long term detrimental
effects that the the modern day synthetic fertilizers may cause to
rose bushes? I am specifically asking about the Bayer Systemic 2-in-1
fertilizer that protects from bug damage etc.

The reason I bring this up is I was recently told by a mail-order rose
company that I am in effect reducing the life expectancy of the roses
using that type of fertilizer. I am not sure if I necessarily believe
that since the product is fairly recent. Also, the concept of green
gardening is something I practice for my vegetables since I will
ingest them, but since the roses are just for looking good, I am less
concerned about the environmentalist pressures that are ever present.

Thoughts? Opinions?