Old 19-04-2008, 01:15 PM
BillNe BillNe is offline
Registered User

Location: South East Essex
Default Bay trees

We've two bay trees in large tubs, both trees of the "ball head" standard type. They are about 7 years old (at least we bought them 5 years ago), and I suppose about 3 foot 6 high from soil.
One looks good, is still a ball and has lots of flowers; the other is gappy, with next to no flowers. The latter one is straggly and has a bigger but more asymmetrical head of leave.
Both are side-by-side- actually about 5 feet apart, and have been swapped in position (just in case).
The only care they've had is water and occasional liquid fertilizer- never been repotted.
Should I prune (judiciously), repot in bigger pots, give up and buy new ones? Any adfvice welcome!