Old 20-04-2008, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
johannes johannes is offline

Default Wonderful example of PC interference and down turn in the standardof education

brian mitchell wrote:

"'Mike'" wrote:

And the "Mathematics"? ;-(

This would have to be a long, off-topic conversation on culture and
education, but the mindset which promotes knowledge as a matter of
value-free, abstract technique --such as mathematics-- may not be the
mindset that kids now in primary school need to best cope with the
conditions they will meet as adults. Those spoof questions rather neatly
characterise the issue. It's a changing world.

Brian Mitchell

When I went to school a lot of many years ago, there were no concern
about learning to cope with conditions that I would meet as adult;
that kind of knowledge was considered 'trivial', something you could
always pick up as and when necessary.