Old 20-04-2008, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
johannes johannes is offline

Default Wonderful example of PC interference and down turn in the standardof education

'Mike' wrote:

"johannes" wrote in message

'Mike' wrote:

"brian mitchell" wrote in message
"'Mike'" wrote:

And the "Mathematics"? ;-(

This would have to be a long, off-topic conversation on culture and
education, but the mindset which promotes knowledge as a matter of
value-free, abstract technique --such as mathematics-- may not be the
mindset that kids now in primary school need to best cope with the
conditions they will meet as adults. Those spoof questions rather
neatly
characterise the issue. It's a changing world.

Brian Mitchell

So you feel that these other issues are more important than Maths?

What you call Maths Mike, other people call Numeracy. Mathematics is
deeper
and more abstract.

Shall we simplify it for you and say, the capability of adding £3.27 and
£17.46, even when written down, without a calculator?

""THAT"" is the point I am making.

No you don't. You were making a point about Numeracy or Arithmetic.
Maths or Mathematics is the wrong word for your examples. Mathematics
is such things like Calculus and Algebra for starters, but is is a
pervasive subject, always has been and always will be. Have you tried
Sizefitter yet? It is free for you; I'm the inventor, author and
programmer.