Old 21-04-2008, 01:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
tenman tenman is offline

Default Using florists` foam with orchids?

Kate wrote:
It was First Rays` method that gave me the idea. I live in the UK, and am
not sure if he posts his special pots internationally. Also, I suspect
that
the cost of currency conversion and carriage would far exceed that of the
pots themselves. I see that his pots have drainage holes well up the sides
to provide a reservoir for the clay pellets to soak up, and as I cannot get
that kind of thing over here, I thought the foam might be an alternative.

Kate

Oh, but Kate you can get something just like them. Go to a restaurant
supply shop and get some deli containers in the appropriate size. It
won't run much - say, around 3 euros for 25 of them. Then take a
soldering iron and burn your holes in yourself. I don't know if tyhey'll
be quite as durable, but they should hold up for a couple years at least.