Old 21-04-2008, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm adm is offline

Default Advice on Ivy please

On 2008-04-21 10:06:53 +0100, Charlie Pridham

In article 2008042109020616807-adm1@fastmailfm,
says...
On 2008-04-21 06:20:41 +0100, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given said:

"adm" wrote in message news:2008042012050416807-

but then thought that Ivy or a similar wall climber might look
a lot nicer.

My advice for Ivy is: Don't! Find something else.

The old adage for Ivy ("first it sleeps, then it creeps, then it leaps") is
very true as I know from the multiple ivys I've spent (unsuccessfully)
trying to exterminate in my yard.

Thanks for all the advise so far! It seems to be about 4 to 2 in favour
of "DON'T DO IT".....with constant pruning being the
downside.....however, if i do plant it, it will be a location that's
easy to prune - I can just run the hedge trimmer along the top and
sides of the wall every month or so.

As for ever wanting to remove it, I remember the mess the roots make on
walls from my old days as a roofer. However, this is gong to be a cover
plant for an ugly but neccesary boundary wall and is not likley to ever
need to be removed - and if it is, it would be replaced with something
else unless bare concrete suddenly becomes the height of fashion!

Does anyone know of a better wall covering plant that will grow up a
concrete wall unsupported? I suppose if neccesary, I could string wires
along the face of the wall for support, but would rather not as they
will need to be replaced every few years.

I've had a scout around on 'tinternet and
www.fibrex.co.uk seem to have
several hundred varieties of Ivy - including Goldheart as well as lots
of other nicely coloured ones. I also read that when planting Ivy, you
should put a handful of lime in the hole as it likes alkaline
conditions. Does this make sense?

Coloured leafed ivies retain their leaf coloursbetter on alkaline soils
hence the lime advice.

Ah...so that's it.

As to pruning issues it takes but a few seconds to give them the once
over with a strimmer and I realy think people get a bit harsh in their
condemnation of everything Hedera! if its not a house its not likely to
cause any expensive damage and it does do the job.

It's not a house, and it's really, really unlikley to be able to do any
damage to 12 tonnes of precast concrete! SO I'm not worried about that
at all. If I can get away with pruning a few times a year, I'll be
happy. It's going to take a few years to cover the wall anyway - it's 8
feet high and 60 feet long.

Other contenders
Trachelospermum,

That looks nice and is evergreen but probably needs more sun than we
get in this location

Hydrangea

Very pretty, but looks like it would get bushy rather than cling flat
to the wall.

Schizophragma, will all do a good job of self

Deciduous? So won't provide cover all year round.

clinging too but all will stick out further than Ivy (Eventually)

Thanks for the tips - looks like Ivy is still probably the best choice
for what I need.