Old 21-04-2008, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Local Volunteering?

Steve writes
On Apr 21, 6:15 pm, K wrote:
Steve writesHi, not sure if anyone can
assist, but I'm keen to see if there are
ways in which I can help volunteer in my area.

I'm keen to learn more about horticulture and I'm considering doing an
on line course (I work full time so a full time/part time course is
out of the question), but I'd like some practical experience and to
meet other gardening enthusiasts. An option I had thought of was an
allotment but what with the waiting lists and the small issue of my
wife not wanting me to own one, I wrote that one off.

If it helps, I live in Harrogate.

The obvious is Harlow Carr which has a lot of volunteer gardeners.
--

I tried them as I live just 2 miles down the road. Unfortunately as I
work Mon-Fri I can't be a volunteer garderner, which is a shame.

National Trust, then. They're active at weekends. BCTV, but that's more
conservation - National Trust do that too, but presumably they also have
volunteers in their gardens. Britain in Bloom - didn't Harrogate win
that a couple of years back? - they need lots of volunteers. And look at
your local primary schools - now a lot of schools are fencing off their
grounds, they're able to start wildlife gardens and may well appreciate
help there.

For meeting other gardeners, consider your local garden society. You
don't necessarily have to get the experience and the meeting gardeners
from the same source.

--
Kay