Old 22-04-2008, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm adm is offline

Default Advice on Ivy please

On 2008-04-21 21:20:07 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

On 2008-04-21 20:46:10 +0100, chris French
said:

In message 2008042110545075249-adm1@fastmailfm, adm

writes
On 2008-04-21 10:06:53 +0100, Charlie Pridham
said:

Hydrangea

Very pretty, but looks like it would get bushy rather than cling flat
to the wall.

I think Charlie probably meant Climbing Hydrangea. A different thing
from the nomral Hydrangea

Ah.....(Google....).....

So - would they fight if I alternated the fence bays with a Climbing
Hydrangea and an Ivy ?

Hold on a mo' - what about Wisteria for this job? Or even a mix of Ivy,
Hydrangea and Wisteria?

I hope you have time to wait ...

Patience is a virtue!

Mind you, an Ivy would cover the wall fiarly quickly,

Not necessarily, see Andy's post.

but would it then prevent somethig slower growing from climbing through
it, or could the two co-exist peacefully ? I presume the Ivy would
strangle anything else?

I can't see why it should!

Fair enough. I know b****r all about gardening though. I cut the grass,
but that's about it! I really need to do more as I have a lovely half
acre garden, but keeping the grass down takes a lot of time by itself.
I have however been given a Robomow, so once I get that set up I should
hopefully have more time.

I think my plan is evolving to be planting several different
bi-coloured Ivys alternately and maybe also a few Wisterias and/or
climbing Roses for longer term colour.

I plan to be in this house for a good ten more years or so, so
hopefully will see good results at some point!