Old 24-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Ghost Orchid Ghost Orchid is offline
Registered User

Dont do it!

It's a nightmare! Literally takes over without constant care and attention. I would suggest you find a less aggressive climber than Ivy. Maybe even consider attaching plant beds to the wall to make it more attractive or surround it with some garden planters.

Good luck. Hope it goes well.

:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
Dear All,

I am in the process of erecting an 8 foot high concrete post and panel
wall between my house and the nearby road. Once it's complete, it will
need something to cover it completely as it's not particularly
attractive. I was originally thinking of covering it with closeboard
fencing, but then thought that Ivy or a similar wall climber might look
a lot nicer.

The wall runs approximately north to south, the east facing side is
towards the road, but is hidden from the road by a 14 foot high beech
hedge. The westward side faces the house, but the house shades it from
the sun. It does get a bit of sun each day, but is predominantly shady.
There is about 10 feet between the house and the wall, and the area is
brick paved. I intend to take about 1 sq. foot of the brick paving out
at the bottom centre of each fence bay (10 bays, each 6 foot wide) so
that I can root a plant into soil. The soil in the area is mainly clay,
although curiously, we seem to have a fairly decent loam in our garden.

So - what varieties of Ivy would fairly quickly cover the entire wall
and look good? Or is there a similar climber I should think about.
Ideally, I want something that is fully self supporting so I dont have
to string any support wires. I would like it to reach the 8 foot top of
the fence, but then would prune it from going any further otherwise it
would interfere with the top of the beech hedge.

Any ideas? Also, if I go with Ivy, once it is established, could I
plant a climbing Rose with each Ivy plant and let the Rose climb
through the Ivy?

All opinions gratefully recieved.

Thanks,

Alasdair