Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Steve Coyle

Default Lucky bamboo?

Howdy folks,
In regards to 'Lucky Bamboo' :

Probably more like the bamboo is just something else in the bowl as a point
of interest. I hadn't thought of it, but something like that could make a
nice arrangement. Doesn't seem like it would hurt the fish as long as he was
kept fed. Could make it a little harder to change the water though.

I wanted to mention that 'Lucky Bamboo' is actually a Dracena
cutting, and not actually Bamboo ( Another plant that is not a Bamboo
is "Heavenly Bamboo" a cultivar of Nandina. )
Since someone mentioned Howards as a source, they do keep them in
stock and if you get them there say hi to good old, Robin who is one
of the owners from Steve.
I'm seeing them all over the place, Central Market, and the Asian
Market at Airport and Lamar.
By the way the curly ones don't do that naturally, that involves
binding with light floral wire, and turning them over time to the
light. If you stick one of them in a window the new growth will just
grow towards the light.
I don't particularly like 'Lucky Bamboo' but It's popular with the
Feng Shuei crowd, and I learned to be carefull with those folks ( Once
I ticked one off and they came to my house and rearranged all my
furniture pointing in the wrong direction )

take care,
Steve Coyle
www.austingardencenter.com