Old 05-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Shiva

Default What can I add to the soil to produce "stronger" roses?

Jane Lumley wrote:

..

I think they need more everything when they're struggling - more water,
more mulch, more rotted manure, more, and more frequent food and more
antifungal sprays in poor conditions.

Agreed!

[...]

and I find Osmocote nearly worthless .

You've tried it and you really feel it doesn't help your roses? I
recommended it because Cass likes it and she grows gorgeous roses. But then
she uses fish emulsion and I don't. Hmmm. I have not yet put mine down
(though it is past time) and now wonder if I ought to just go with the
Mill's Mix, some fish emulsion, and my regular granular 3-month. Would you
be willing to elaborate on your experiences with Osmocote? My main reason
for wanting to use it is that it is time release--I get busy and distracted
and once overfertilized my roses and KILLED some in pots. Thanks.

--
Jane Lumley