Old 03-05-2008, 07:21 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Grey laundry water for garden watering?

In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article
,
Laura at theGardenPages wrote:

I know, I hate to see all that water to down the drain too! I've used
my laundry water for the lawn and shrubs with no problem. I haven't
tried it on veggies.

If you use boi-degradeable SOAP not detergent you can use the wash
water. The rinse water is fine by you have to be careful about that
fabric softener.

Plus, deep watering is better for shrubs than a sprinkling anyway.
Good for you!

Perfect storm indeed. We had good rain Nov. to March and then the driest
March-April ever. We are looking at sever water rationing at the same
time the price of food is skyrocketing. I think I need a water tank.
--

Billy
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=7WBB0s...eature=related

All my piped wastewater goes to the leech field via the septic tank. Due to
the low permeability of my local soil, I opted for an above ground leech
field. It the size of a very large putting green. Soil depth is too deep
to have any concern of grass rootage affecting the leech piping. But, at
the same time, enough water is drained to keep the grass from drying out in
drought periods...

My problem is that the garden is up-hill from my grey water. I have a
pump and hoses. I think a twenty - thirty gallon tank on my garage
(above the gardens) is basically all I need. That, and information on
which laundry and dish washing compounds are safe with my plants.